From: Sofus Mortensen (list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-06 01:37:24

A skip list still have the functionality and average case (not worst
case) asymptotical performance as red-black trees. Actually I think
there is quite a few different structures with the same average case as
red-black trees, possibly all with their (minor) size/speed advantages
and disadvantages. For every new structure we would probably get X_map,
X_set, X_multimap and X_multiset.

Instead I think it would be better to design an extension to (multi)map
and (multi)set, that takes an extra template argument either specifying
the implementation or some type/value specifying the wanted
size/speed/insertion/lookup/deletion tradeoff.

I don't think the normal C++ user is interesting in knowing what a skip
list is, or even that such a thing exists, but he might be interested in
boosting his map performance a little if possible.

Best regards,

Sofus Mortensen

Comet - Grunge free COM programming in C++
http://www.lambdasoft.dk/comet