From: Steve Anichini (sanichin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-09 10:41:38

thanks! i'll try the workaround later today.

-steve

Thanks for the education.

> I don't think boost should be imposing this choice on the user unless it
> absolutely has to. (Yes I know you technically can mix libraries compiled
> with one runtime with another using /IGNORELIB, but I find that option
> distasteful.) Just because the pyhton stuff requires the dynamic runtime
> doesn't mean the rest of boost should be forced to - I'm not even using
the
> python stuff. I just want to build boost! :)

OK; for the time being you can just go to the libs/regex/build and
libs/thread/build directories and invoke "jam -sBOOST_ROOT=../../.." in
each. I'll see what I can do about the dynamic link requirements on the
python library.

> If the python stuff absolutely must use the DLL runtime, can we modify the
> jamfiles so that:
> a) no matter what the user specifies, libboost_python builds with the DLL
> runtime.
> or
> b) if you specify the static runtime, libbost_python is skipped by the
> build with some appropriate warning.
> or
> c) make the python stuff work with the static C runtime.

Yeah; I'm not sure which of those is better. Warnings tend to get lost in
the large quantity of output generated by any command-line build tool.

Hmm... oh, there /is/ a solution!

jam -sDEFAULT_BUILD="<runtime-link>static" will work.

John maddock has specified <runtime-link>dynamic in the default-BUILD
section of his regex library specification, which will override your
command-line setting. But, it seems to me, he didn't need to do that, since
<runtime-link>dynamic is the default.

I'll try building that way and running the regex regression tests.

-Dave

<mailto:boost-unsubscribe_at_[hidden]>