From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-11 23:27:50

----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Crites" <pyxl_at_[hidden]>

> I sent the following message to Dave personally, but since I see other
> people are having problems compiling Boost with Jam, I decided to send it
> the mailing list also.

<snip>

The reply I sent to Justin follows:

---------
I don't believe you're using the pre-supplied jam executable which I
referred to in my message, are you
(http://www.boost.org/tools/build/jam.exe)?

You'll need that to start with. Prior versions of Jam such as FTJam won't
work.

Then, update your boost/tools/build directory to the latest available from
CVS.

Finally,

  jam -sBOOST_ROOT=. -sTOOLS=msvc-stlport

should work for you if you've already run vcvars32.bat. If you haven't, then
something like the following should work:

  jam -sBOOST_ROOT. -sTOOLS=msvc-stlport -sVISUALC="\"C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual C++\VC98\""

There's no need for the "SUBST hack" anymore, but if you're still using it,
you can do this

  jam -sBOOST_ROOT. -sTOOLS=msvc-stlport -sVISUALC="x:\"

I've just tested all of these, and they work for me. Please follow the
directions /carefully/ and let me know if you still have problems.

-Dave