From: Ullrich Koethe (u.koethe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-14 12:58:29

Carl Daniel wrote:

> In, consumer image processing, JPEG compress/decompress frequently dominates all other processing. VIGRA is using
> libJPEG, which, though it is free, is also painfully slow compared to alternatives. This is an area where contributors
> could obviously help, supplying VIGRA interfaces to other (non-free) JPEG libraries.

Yes, the import/export facilities are not yet optimal. We are currently
rewriting them. What interface would you need? I'm accepting any help
in rewriting the IO library.

On the other hand, if you already have import/export functions, you also
have an image data type. Than I would recomment to write the necessary
2D iterator for your image, use the algorithms and forget about VIGRA
impex. After all, that's how the STL is supposed to be used - it doesn't
care about IO at all. VIGRA impex was included for those who don't
already have image IO.

> The other performance conern that struct me
> immediately is the use of RLE as the normal image
> format. (I'm hoping I missed something and RLE is
> used only as an interchange format...)

Yes, it is only used as an intermediate format in some import/export
functions. (It is inherited from image magick, where I borrowed some IO
code.)

Regards
Ulli

| Ullrich Koethe  Universität Hamburg / University of Hamburg    |
|                 FB Informatik / Dept. of Computer Science      |
|                 AB Kognitive Systeme / Cognitive Systems Group |
| Phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2573                Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30 |
| Fax:   +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D - 22527 Hamburg   |
| Email: u.koethe_at_[hidden]               Germany             |
|        koethe_at_[hidden]                        |
| WWW:   http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/      |