From: Carl Daniel (cpdaniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-14 09:51:31

Hi -

Comments based on a very quick and incomplete look -

In my most recent job, image processing was what we did. Web-server based, high volumne image manipulation. In our
particular case, we had a large image processing library inherited from a parent company, so VIGRA wouldn't have been an
option. Ignoring that, had I evaluated VIGRA on behalf of that employer, I would be very concerned about performance.

In, consumer image processing, JPEG compress/decompress frequently dominates all other processing. VIGRA is using
libJPEG, which, though it is free, is also painfully slow compared to alternatives. This is an area where contributors
could obviously help, supplying VIGRA interfaces to other (non-free) JPEG libraries.

The other performance conern that struct me immediately is the use of RLE as the normal image format. This almost has
to result in a very significant performance impact on nearly every image operation, including (I'm guessing here) nearly
doubling the memory bandwidth requirements. (I'm hoping I missed something and RLE is used only as an interchange
format...)

As a library of acedemic interest, these concerns might be secondary. For use in an end-user image processing
applicaiton, they will be foremost.

-cd