From: Ullrich Koethe (u.koethe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-15 12:03:32

Philip Nash wrote:

> > Interesting suggestion. I like it. Another possibility might be
> > 'navigator'.
>
> But you "traverse" or "iterate" over something, and "nagivate" from one
> place to another.
> I like "traverser"... or is it "traversor" (no, a quick check on onelook.com
> confirms the OP's spelling) :-)

So we arrive at the following definitions:
* 'iterators' are always 1D. If applied to a non-linear data structure,
they provide a suitable linearization (like in-order traversal of a
tree)

* 'traversers' allow non-linear traversal

* 'navigators' are objects that control the operation of a traverser.
This would allow for the separation of navigation from the actual
operation of an algorithm. In 1D, this is not an issue, because there is
only one iteration possibility, but on non-linear data structures it is
often that case that a complicated calculation can be used with several
different navigation patterns.

Ulli

| Ullrich Koethe  Universität Hamburg / University of Hamburg    |
|                 FB Informatik / Dept. of Computer Science      |
|                 AB Kognitive Systeme / Cognitive Systems Group |
| Phone: +49 (0)40 42883-2573                Vogt-Koelln-Str. 30 |
| Fax:   +49 (0)40 42883-2572                D - 22527 Hamburg   |
| Email: u.koethe_at_[hidden]               Germany             |
|        koethe_at_[hidden]                        |
| WWW:   http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~koethe/      |