From: David A. Greene (greened_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-23 22:38:06

Is anyone working on debugging or stream libraries
for Boost? By debugging libraries I mean things like:

- Note/Debug/Warning/Error message output, with
   multiple channels so one can turn on debugging
   for certain parts of the program, and specify
   levels of message output.

- Message logging

   I have a stream library that buffers the last N
   lines output to it. Essentially one gets a
   'tail -N' dump from the stream when requested.
   This is useful for grabbing information when
   programs crash without having to make the user
   see a bunch of text dumped to the screen.

   This is just an example of the kinds of things
   I'm talking out.

- Debugger hooks

- Memory debugging

   Something along the lines of LeakTracer -- I
   hacked up something myself a while back but it's
   not complete or as clean as I'd like.

As for stream libraries, I'm talking about simple
things like a multi-input stream I developed for a
trace simulator: it presents the programmer with
'cat'-like functionality for streams, so that
multiple input files can be sequenced into a single
istream. I'm sure there are other things folks
have found useful.

                         -Dave

--
"Some little people have music in them, but Fats, he was all music,
  and you know how big he was."  --  James P. Johnson