From: Andrei Alexandrescu (andrewalex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-24 13:15:40

> >I just pasted code from Loki. My entire point was to suggest adding a
> >similar macro to boost.
>
> I think the functionality is a good idea, but I would prefer to see it
> added as a template, so that the expression:
>
> is_public_base<Base, Derived>::value
>
> gives the required answer.

Smooth.

> While we're at it:
>
> is_implicit_convertible<T,U>::value
>
> would be useful as well (is true only if the conversion is not a UDC).
The
> name may not be quite right though....

I disagree. If the programmer adds an implicit conversion, then that
conversion must be indistiguishable from a built-in conversion for all
purposes. No?

By the way, I was /dismayed/ to notice that MWCW 7.0 still fails to
implement sizeof correctly so as to support is_convertible, although they
did know of the problem for a year plus (I actually emailed with their
project lead about that)! What a letdown.

Andrei