From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (alexy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-25 14:48:53

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> Can Vesa's preprocessor be used as a standard preprocessor? I hoped I
> wouldn't have to worry about that, but now I'd love to have a bug-free C++
> preprocessor...

Hmm, to clarify things a little bit - PREPROCESSOR library provides
"preprocessor metaprogramming" facilities on top of the standard C
preprocessor. Basically it's a set of clever preprocessor macros and
techniques that allows you to manipulate your program in a way you've
usually considered impossible to achieve at the language level (and thus
probably did such manipulations by hand, or using external tools). It's
_very_ cool, but it has a different scope than you've implied in your
question above. Please see the library documentation for a deeper
explanation
(http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/boost/boost/libs/preprocesso
r/doc/index.htm).

BTW, I agree that it's very annoying and disappointing that most of the
compiler vendors can't get right a tool as simple as C preprocessor, not to
talk about anything else.

Aleksey