From: mmurrett_at_[hidden]
Date: 2001-11-27 21:39:01

Beman,

Prior to Mac OS X, the Mac OS has neither POSIX-style threads
nor Windows-style threads. For this reason, Boost Threads did
not support Mac OS 8.6 or 9.x. I have, with help and guidance
from Bill Kempf and Howard Hinnant, created an implementation
of Boost Threads for Carbon (a compatibility layer shared
between Mac OS 8.x, 9.x, and X). The implementation uses MP
tasks, which are preemptively scheduled threads with a few
gotchas. I have also coded replacements for a few
functions in MSL to make parts of it MP task-safe (in particular,
console I/O and timer utilities).

The test program and all of the examples work with this
implementation, and I have made the necessary changes to the
configuration files to enable threading on Macintosh Carbon
builds. I can provide a diff file if you like, but you will have to
tell me how to create it.

Thanks,
Mac.

--- In boost_at_y..., Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_a...> wrote:
> Mac,
>
> >I think that Boost Threads for Mac OS is ready to go;
comments?

> I'm sorry, I missed something. What is Boost Threads for Mac
OS?

> If is something like special make or jam files for compiling
Boost Threads