From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-28 08:49:14

At 09:39 PM 11/27/2001, mmurrett_at_[hidden] wrote:

>Prior to Mac OS X, the Mac OS has neither POSIX-style threads
>nor Windows-style threads. For this reason, Boost Threads did
>not support Mac OS 8.6 or 9.x. I have, with help and guidance
>from Bill Kempf and Howard Hinnant, created an implementation
>of Boost Threads for Carbon (a compatibility layer shared
>between Mac OS 8.x, 9.x, and X). The implementation uses MP
>tasks, which are preemptively scheduled threads with a few
>gotchas. I have also coded replacements for a few
>functions in MSL to make parts of it MP task-safe (in particular,
>console I/O and timer utilities).
>
>The test program and all of the examples work with this
>implementation, and I have made the necessary changes to the
>configuration files to enable threading on Macintosh Carbon
>builds. I can provide a diff file if you like, but you will have to
>tell me how to create it.

Cool!

So it sounds like this implementation should be on equal footing with the
Windows and Pthreads implementations, and thus should be checked into the
regular Boost CVS.

Bill Kempf should be the person to do the CVS check in, so that he can keep
the location of files consistent between the implementations, and since he
is the one who will make the changes to existing files.

Please coordinate with him privately on questions of diffs, schedules, etc.

I'd like the CVS in a consistent state Friday morning (US East Coast time),
so if that is too tight a schedule for anyone, please hold off
destabilizing changes until after the release.

Thanks,

--Beman