From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-28 17:29:52

Oh, another ML book is "Elements of ML Programming" by Ullman. I liked it
better than "ML for the Working Programmer". It is more up-to-date too.

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Jeremy Siek wrote:

jsiek> On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Mat Marcus wrote:
jsiek>
jsiek> mmarcu> * Is it better to spend time studying Haskell, ML, or Scheme? Which
jsiek> mmarcu> is closer in spirit to template metaprogramming? That is, which book
jsiek> mmarcu> will pay higher dividends for compile time C++ idioms: Haskell: The
jsiek> mmarcu> Craft of Functional Programming, ML for the Working Programmer, or
jsiek> mmarcu> Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programming? Perhaps
jsiek> mmarcu> Peyton-Jones's book or another would be most useful.
jsiek>
jsiek> I've read the ML Working Programmer, An Intro to Function Programming
jsiek> using Haskell, Peyton-Jone's book, and Structure and Interp of Comp. Prog.
jsiek> (SICP). My personal favorite is the SICP book. In general I like Scheme
jsiek> for functional programming, but Scheme doesn't have the builtin pattern
jsiek> matching of ML or Haskell (and pattern matching is directly analogous to
jsiek> using partial specialization). Scheme does have very cool syntax pattern
jsiek> matching (the macro system) that works in an analogous fashion, but for a
jsiek> different purpose. I learned a lot from studying ML, I've spent less time
jsiek> with Haskell.
jsiek>
jsiek> Cheers,
jsiek> Jeremy
jsiek>
jsiek>
jsiek> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
jsiek> Jeremy Siek http://php.indiana.edu/~jsiek/
jsiek> Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
jsiek> C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-3608
jsiek>
jsiek>
jsiek>