From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-11-29 16:59:50

Instead of taking an approach which is "likely to annoy pretty much
everybody", why not try something else?

My suggestion: bring up your arguments on the list now and build consensus
around your point-of-view. Instead of working out all these ideas in private
and then presenting an entirely written product to boost on an
all-or-nothing basis, discuss the issues with the author(s) of the
library(s) with which your submission will overlap, and invite them to
cooperate with you in a redesign of the existing facilities. That approach
is much more likely to result in a positive outcome which not only uses your
ideas but respects the design goals of the original facilities. Also, it has
proven workable in the past.

I think your perception that it would annoy everyone is probably correct.
It's not because of the technical issues, though: it has lots more to do
with the approach.