From: Jason Shirk (jasonsh_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-01 19:58:53

We are taking a very serious look at releasing our conformance work in
less than a year. I won't give out any dates yet (because we haven't
finalized them internally yet), but its close enough that I'm both very
excited and very busy.

VC7.1 (or whatever it will be called) won't be fully compliant, but it
will be sufficiently useful such that "broken" won't be mentioned so
frequently.

We are trying to make sure we fix as many "important" issues as
possible. With a tight schedule and, contrary to what some people
think, limited resources, we can't fix everything.

If anyone is aware of important (in real world code), but obscure parts
of C++ where we are deficient, please let me know. I think I have a
pretty good idea, but it never hurts to ask. This would help prioritize
the remaining work we have (and ensure you get the fixes you need.)

Also, I agree that VC6 is still an important target. I expect that even
if we release a compiler that supports Boost w/o workarounds quickly,
new libraries will still choose to support VC6 to get the greatest # of
users. I like VC7 much better than VC6 (the whole product, not just the
compiler), but many customers will take a "wait and see" approach.

Jason Shirk
VC++ Compiler Team