From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2001-12-02 08:46:45

Hi John,

I've been looking at this problem for a while this morning, and I'm still
not sure what's going on. For the record, I don't have Win95/98 on my
machine, so I can't easily test it. All of the Win95/98 support we have
comes from work by David Turner, and he's been difficult to raise recently
(hello, David?), so I'm thinking of alternative strategies...

Here's one thing you could do which would be informative: run jam with
the -d+2 option, which will dump the build commands to stdout just before
they're executed. Then, grab the text of the command which fails (note that
it starts on a separate line with "if exist..."), and stick it in a .bat
file. Then run the .bat file. This process reproduces roughly what I think
is happening inside the jam source code.

The other thing you could do, if you're feeling generous, is to take a look
at tools/build/jam_src/execnt.c, which is where command execution for all
windows flavors is handled. Maybe you'll see something I've missed.

-Dave