From: Petr Ovchenkov (ptr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-04 06:36:23

Hi,

For number of dimentions there are some very important cases,
when performance is a key issue:

   N = 2
   N = 3
   N = 4 (may be)

The performance for this dimentions can be near (or better) then
FORTRAN code^# if we roll out many internal loops with recursive
templates, and, may be, with specialized algorithms.
  ^# [as shown by Todd Veldhuizen in Blitz++]

The absent of specialization for this two-three dimentions in
multiarray librarias (as mtl, as ublas) is a significant drawback,
IMO.

I think, that interfaces of specialization for N=2,..,4 should be
the same (or very similar) as for common case.

  - ptr