From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-08 07:25:24

The multi_array fits in very nicely with MTL 3. The container of
containers flavor of interface is the same for MTL 3 matrices, as is the
way array views work.

There is no overlap between multi_array and MTL 3. multi_array is a multi
dimensional container, not a numeric (linear algebra) entity. However,
multi_array will be an important building block in creating various
numeric entities. These numeric entities (including the element-wise
operators that everyone is interested in) will come along as separate
libraries as people implement them. There may need to be some small
changes to multi_array to accomodate them, but the changes should only
need to be additions.

Ron's approach of first submitting a multi_array without the numeric
operators is the right approach because:

1) it is easier for the Boost membership to review one small component
  at a time. ("small" here is a relative term)

2) There are many non-numeric uses for multi-dimensional containers.

Cheers,
Jeremy

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Toon Knapen wrote:
> Relation with MTL and ublas :
> Two other matrix-related projects are going on and I think it would be
> good too check what the relation is of multi-array to these before it is
> accepted.

 Jeremy Siek http://www.osl.iu.edu/~jsiek/
 Ph.D. Student, Indiana Univ. B'ton email: jsiek_at_[hidden]
 C++ Booster (http://www.boost.org) office phone: (812) 855-3608