From: rwgk (rwgk_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-11 13:18:38

--- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
> Don't you want a constructor? ;-)
>
> Check the POD requirements I posted again. Pretty restrictive.

David,
Is the bottom line that a core language change is required
to support C or FORTRAN compatibility for a type
like std::complex? E.g., the definition of an "enhanced POD"
which allows a constructor "as a notational convenience"
but has the same guarantees as a POD?
This sounds like a big political mission for fixing a relatively
theoretical problem that might only begin to bite for real
when someone comes up with radically new hardware.
Yet, from a language designers viewpoint, I would say the
current situation is very unsatisfactory. Are there precedences
for core language changes like the one that would be required
here?
Thanks,
        Ralf