From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-15 17:57:49

At 04:52 PM 1/15/2002, Jason Shirk wrote:

>We consider catching AV's w/ catch(...) a bug and are considering
>changing the behavior in the future (perhaps w/ a switch and warnings.)
>
>There are other options. When we run our regression tests, we call:
>
> SetErrorMode(SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX);
>
>Note this is not recommended unless you are actually running the process
>as a debugger, at least according to the SDK documentation. It seems to
>work for our purposes.
>
>Another possibility is to use the API SetUnhandledExceptionFilter.
>There is an excellent article on MSDN that demonstrates some fun things
>you can do with this, see:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/msj/defaultframe.asp?page=/msj/0497/hood/hood04
>97.htm&nav=/msj/0497/newnav.htm

The new version on Boost.Test actually does pretty well handling Win32
structured exceptions (plus C++ exceptions), so we are OK for VC++ and
other compilers which support that mechanism. I'd forgotten about that
'til Ed Brey mentioned it.

By the way, I'll add VC++ to the Win32 compiler mix as soon as I get an
release copy. Haven't gotten an upgrade offer yet.

--Beman