From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-17 08:28:43

joel de guzman wrote:
> [...]

I think we better stop this discussion, as it brings us nowhere. I can use
YACC, or ANTRL or Spirit or whatever. I won't use Spirit unless I'm shown
that Spirit is appropriate for the task. So far, no concrete examples were
shown.

> > > Also, forgive me but why isn't nondeterministic RD not
> > > acceptable for parsing command lines?
> >
> > Becase command line syntax can be ambiguious. Checking for those
> > ambiguities and *documented* resolution of those resolvable are a must.
> > Can
> > nonterministic parsing give me that?
>
> I don't see a reason why not. I think you got this one incorrectly.
> You are looking at the parser while instead you should be looking
> at the parser generated by the parser. Your grammar should be
> the one to allow / disallow and check / ignore ambiguity.

"-bar" can be interpreted, depending on the styles user wants
as either:
1) Three short options
2) Short option followed by parameter
3) Long option
Can you give an *example* of how this can be handled with Spirit.

- Volodya