From: Jens Maurer (Jens.Maurer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-20 04:46:06

Hello!

I've only seen one review comment on Samuel's printf-like
formatting library for iostreams so far (thanks, Ed).

Since the review period ends on Tuesday, I'd like to see
a few more comments. Even if you do an in-depth review, then
please give at least an accept/don't vote.

Thanks!

The original review announcement is attached.

Jens Maurer

The review of Samuel Krempp's "format" (printf-like formatting)
library runs from today until 23 January 2002.

The library is available at
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/format2/

Please don't forget to indicate whether you think the library
should be included into boost at all or not.

This web page gives more hints about how to prepare review comments:
  http://www.boost.org/more/formal_review_process.htm

The library provides Unix98 printf-style, type-safe output formatting
for use with standard iostreams. Using a printf-style approach
as opposed to the usual iostreams facilities removes the need for
explicit use of iostreams manipulators to change the output format,
which can be verbose. Also, it allows for easier internationalization,
because the (single) string message (to be translated) is cleanly
separated from the arguments.

Example usage (from the docs):
cout << format("writing %3, x=%1 : %2-th try") % 40.23 % 50 % "toto";
     // prints "writing toto, x=40.230 : 50-th try"

Jens Maurer
Review Manager format library