From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-28 11:32:33

On 1/28/02 8:15 AM, "joel de guzman" <djowel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I don't see anything about deprecating paths on MacOS in Jesse's post.

Sorry, I didn't quote it. It was in an earlier message: "[...] on the Mac OS
(even OS X) it's considered poor practice to use path names." Poor practice,
deprecated, two ways to say the same thing.

It's not considered poor practice to use path names on OS X in, for example,
Cocoa. It's standard practice. That's what I wanted to clarify.

> I am not aware of any OS now that deprecates paths, but it is certainly
> possible in the future.

There is an OS now that deprecates paths. It's Mac OS 9 and all the other
non-OS-X versions of Mac OS. Paths don't work to uniquely identify files on
this OS.

    -- Darin