From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-29 12:53:25

There seems to be disagreement over what a persistence library should
provide. I believe the problem has to be split into several subproblems,
and the first will be:

* how does an object (de)serialize itself

The question about standard formats, versioning or pointers can be
grafted onto a basic library later.

There I think that Jens' draft is a good starting point. It is
non-intrusive
and uses compile-time polymorphism.

As I had mentioned before two aspects seem missing to me:

i) support for array (de)serialization in one function call - could be
easily added

ii) compile time polymorphism for the reader/writer objects, when the
actual
     format to be read/written is decided only at runtime.

Issue ii) might require some compile-time polymorphism for the
reader/writer
object.

Matthias