From: joel de guzman (djowel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-29 15:51:57

----- Original Message -----
From: "Beman Dawes" :

> At 11:49 PM 1/27/2002, joel de guzman wrote:

Yes. RFC2396. I am not sure though,as Darin noted, if this is rich
enough to encode all the intricacies of file-paths. When I implemented
the URI-as-path scheme a few years ago, I did not take into account
the Mac's volume ambiguity. Nevertheless, what I really meant was
that a nice well defined standard might be a good starting point.
There are quite some advances now regarding "resource addressing"
that goes beyond files. Many people (W3C for instance) have invested
lots of time and devotion in this area. I find it unwise not to leverage
this considering the enormous amount of information we have out there.

Anyway, at the very least, a "resource identifier" is a better (more generic)
name than path or filename.

--Joel