From: davlet_panech (davlet_panech_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-30 12:50:13

--- In boost_at_y..., "bill_kempf" <williamkempf_at_h...> wrote:
> --- In boost_at_y..., "davlet_panech" <davlet_panech_at_y...> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It seems that the current implementation of some Boost.Threads
> > classes violates it's concept requirements, for example, here's
how
> > condition::wait() looks like:
> >
> > template <typename L>
> > void wait(L& lock)
> > {
> > if (!lock)
> > throw lock_error();
> >
> > do_wait(lock.m_mutex);
> > }
> >

> > Type L is supposed to implement ScopedLock concept, which, unless
> > am mistaken, doesn't mention anything named `m_mutex'. Am I
missing
> > something here?
>
> Not exactly. The m_mutex parameter is a private parameter, and
thus
> not part of the concept requirements. It's an implementation
detail
> requirement. If an implementation for a given platform can be
coded
> with out this requirement there's nothing wrong with that.
>
> However, I can see problems with someone trying to extend the
library
> with their own Mutex and ScopedLock variants that they want to work
> with boost::condition, and this sort of implementation detail
> prevents this. So, there may be a small flaw in the design.
>
> Anyone have any ideas about whether we should do something about
> this, and if so, what?
>
> Bill Kempf

This issue affects a number of other places, too. For example, the
documentation for scoped_lock states:

"The type used to instantiate the class must meet the Mutex
requirements"

However the Mutex requirements are clearly insufficient for the
scoped_lock template to work. Perhaps we could introduce (and
document!) a traits class for mutex operations?

Thanks,
D.P.