From: Gary Powell (powellg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-30 12:44:38

David Abrahams wrote:

> Have you looked at this work: http://www.zib.de/weiser/vtl/?
>
> -Dave

Wow... I'm impressed.
I didn't know somebody has put so much work into this. :-(

Anyway, I do not think my effort was useless - the bare comparison of
archives' contents shows that the same concept (with the same name...)
was implemented really differently.
Thanks Dave for responding.

Yep, we got a bit carried away with the concept. We've been tossing around
yet more ideas on a change to the implementation based on the
policy/iterator adaptor ideas but have yet to get really going on it.
(Martin and I have been really busy with our day jobs) The boost archive
version was round 3 of "views", the page above is round 4, and we think
there is convergence in round 5.

History of "views"
Copyright (c) 1995, 1996 - Jon Seymour first incantation
http://www.zeta.org.au/~jon/STL/views/doc/views.html

I did an extension on my own, the Martin and I collaborated to produce
something close to what is in the boost archive, then we totally rewrote it
based on Martin's ideas to the current version.

  Yours,
 -Gary-

powellg at amazon dot com