From: Jack M. Thompson (JMThompson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-30 17:05:02

I see your point. I think that if a single base class is used, it
should be templated. But, I don't want to burden the user with the
template, except for a single line of code tucked neatly into a standard
file exclusively for each this purpose.

The system I'm trying to describe does this with a single macro that
expands to about three lines of code. All it does is create a
definition and an instance of a virtual constructor. It must exist for
the underlying architecture to know how to create, copy or destroy the
object.

The base object itself may have an identity, but it is also possible to
not have an identity, saving space. The identity type (if there is one)
should be a template argument.

There should never be anything more than the one identity data member
defined in this base. The connection to its parent should be a
reference. The object can't be created without a reference being
supplied. This, coupled with the fact that the parent is parented to a
top node object, which is normally parented to another product (derived
from the single base class), is what makes the system so tight.

I'm explaining how I think this system should work with a couple of
documents. They are almost ready.

Thanks for the input.