From: Brey, Edward D (EdwardDBrey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-30 18:01:13

> "Brey, Edward D" <EdwardDBrey_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> |> Do we need to put the width specifier in the placeholder at all?
> |> Why not just put the width in a local manipulator?
>
> Depending on the application, the width and the precision may
> depend on
> the locale, and be determined by the translator. You don't
> use the same
> precision when formatting Italian Lire as when formatting
> German Marks.

I think you lost the context of my remark. It was referring to widths that
are specified pragmatically. Here's the context:

> In positional context, it becomes : "%1$*2$g", meaning the first
> argument is converted as a general float number, with width given in
> argument number 2.

My point is that once you're in programmatic land anyway, the translators
are out of the loop and you might as well just use a local manipulator.

Of course, width specification should still be supported in the format
string for non-programmatic cases. (Plus a translator could always override
a local manipulator's width specification, if so desired.)