From: Darin Adler (darin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-01-31 12:37:49

On 1/31/02 7:31 AM, "bill_kempf" <williamkempf_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I thought of that, but honestly see no problems here. The width is
> passed to the manipulator in my example and could as easily be
> fetched out of a locale specific database as you'd fetch out the
> format string.

You seem to misunderstand the constraints here. There's already a
locale-specific string database. Imagining another putative locale-specific
database is a big step.

Perhaps you see no problems here because you haven't dealt with this
recently. I find that the translators have a much easier time localizing a
single string than localizing a number of separate interdependent pieces.
And it's non trivial to have more than one locale-specific database.

    -- Darin