From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-01 18:12:51

----- Original Message -----
From: "sfranke2000" <franke_at_[hidden]>
To: <boost_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2002 5:21 PM
Subject: [boost] Re: Did anyone *ever* get the current version of
Boost.Python running...

> --- In boost_at_y..., "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams_at_r...> wrote:
>
> > You are building from the incomplete sources to Boost.Python V2. Go
> > libs/python/build and try again.
>
> Incomplete Sources of what? All I ever deleted from the boost
> directory is the "peoples" folder <wink>.
>
> Seriously, I just did a new CVS checkout, so my local boost is
> up to date. The problem remains the same.

The new sources are under development. They get built from libs/python while
the official release gets built from libs/python/build.

> What seems weird to me is that when I run jam in c:/boost
> instead of c:/boost/libs/python/build I get these strange
>
> libs\python\build\Jamfile: line 67: parse error at keyword (
>
> errors again. This is hard to believe since jam doesn't complain
> about this Jamfile when I start it from that directory. Maybe my
> jam.exe is still invalid? I'm using the one from
>
> http://boost.sourceforge.net/jam-executables/boost-build.win.zip

No, you're using the old one again.

> (just downloaded & tried it again to be sure). Wait a minute...
>
> [15 min later]
>
> I've just tried to build a new jam executable from the sources. A
> whole new world of errors, oh my!
>
> Here we go: As described I run the win32-visualc.mk makefile from
> its upper directory. It compiles all the C files but then starts to
> comlain about unknown rules (see below).

You shouldn't need to rebuild Jam, but if you do,

http://www.boost.org/tools/build/build_system.htm#jambase_replacement says:

a.. If neither JAMBASE, BOOST_ROOT, nor BOOST_BUILD_PATH is set, we use the
built-in Jambase (nearly identical to the FTJam Jambase) and load the user's
Jamfile. Perforce Jam has this behavior, and it is used for building Jam
itself. Thus, when you rebuild Jam, these variables should be unset.