From: Fernando Cacciola (fcacciola_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-06 10:16:58

Just my 2 cents on this...

I think that headers are like physical fundamental particles. As long as the
RIGHT building blocks are 'elementary', you can build up everthing by
combining them.

AFAICT, the problems of split headers isn't rooted in the fact that they are
split but in the fact that the are split the wrong way.

IMO, if headers are properly partitioned, which means not only fine-grained
but also divided element-wise and given corresponding names, the effect on
errors and learning-curve is actually very insignificant, even smaller than
the effect introduced by a bag-like header.

As for perfomance issues, as long as the headers are properly elementary,
there can also be combos to suit general/particular needs.

IOW, I things that the key problem is not whether to split headers or not,
but how to split them properly.
Headers partitioned the wrong way are undoubtly nasty, but the solution is
not to pack them up but to reaarrange them properly.

Fernando Cacciola
Sierra s.r.l.
fcacciola_at_[hidden]
www.gosierra.com