From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-06 10:40:12

From: "Brey, Edward D" <EdwardDBrey_at_[hidden]>
> > From: Peter Dimov [mailto:pdimov_at_[hidden]]
> >
> > The "that class is already precompiled" argument only works
> > when all of
> > boost/std is precompiled. I tend to think that programmers
> > that have the
> > authority to decide what goes into the project PCH aren't our primary
> > audience; they'll take care of themselves either way.
>
> I guess different camps have different concerns. We put boost files in
the
> pch all the time, since they play so nicely. Where we run into problems
is
> with the polluting headers, like <windows.h>, <mfc.h>, and <atl.h>. Of
> course, we put those into the pch, too; we just have work around the
ensuing
> problems.

My point was that if you are a grunt-class programmer, your project lead may
not have precompiled the boost header you need. There are two possibilities:
either the project lead dutifully includes every header you ask for, gets
bored, and adds all of boost (now the granularity doesn't matter); or, the
project lead ignores your 'add header' requiests, so you're back to no-pch.