From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-07 15:08:41

Doug,

>Looks like it was my fault, though I'm not sure what I did -- the main
page
>is appearing correctly now.

After my reply went out, I realized you must have been looking at a page
from CVS. The actual web site never had the intermediate version you
mentioned.

>One other question (or perhaps nit) - have the compiler status tables
been
>updated? I was looking through them (from a computer that has never seen
>the likes of Boost, so caching is _not_ an issue) and I see most tables
>updated in December or January, with some updated as recently as October
>(ouch!).

That's correct. Right now the process is totally asynchronous.

>The
>only current status table was for Microsoft Windows (run today). Are the
>tables even useful to Boost users, if they are so out-of-date?

The only time I every read the tables as a user was when I had to port some
non-boost software to HP-UX this fall. I looked at the status page and saw
that GCC did much better than the HP compiler. So I told the client right
up front that they would probably want to use GCC. They tried the HP
compiler anyhow, and had problems right from the start. So we went with
GCC, had good results, and they think I'm a genius!

Obviously it would be better if the results were up-to-date. At least for
the major platforms. For some of the others, it isn't such an issue.

--Beman