From: Jeremy Siek (jsiek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-07 19:04:32

It seems that the issue of whether to do a policy based design comes up
over and over again here at Boost. It is certainly an interesting issue to
discuss. There's lots of tension, not necessarily between people, but
between the various pro's and con's of the ideas. Andrei's described good
reasons for Boost to want policy based classes, and Matthias has described
good reasons for Boost to want the basic classes.

I'd like to see if we can resolve this meta-issue. I'm going to argue that
we should have both. That is, if someone submits a basic class and it
meets the usual Boost criteria, then we should go ahead and accept it.
Then, when someone submits the policy-based generalization of the class,
and it meets the usual Boost criteria, then we also accept that and
possibly deprecate the old basic class.

Ok, so what are the disadvantages of this approach? The main fear is that
once the policy class comes along, the basic classes will become baggage
that we can't get rid of. I'd argue that this isn't really a big problem
for Boost. One of the main purposes of Boost is to provide experience for
the C++ standard. Another way to say this is that we want to make mistakes
at Boost so that we don't have to make mistakes in the C++ standard. Boost
doesn't have to be as stable as the C++ standard. Boost hasn't promised to
be 100% stable and backward compatible.

So what are the advantages of this approach? First, users get the benefit
of the basic class right away. This is of significant importance. Second,
real-world experience with the basic class will help out when the
policy-based class is being designed. So we'll end up with a better
policy-based class in the long run.

Best Regards,
Jeremy