From: Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2002-02-20 09:58:43

Author: bdawes (bdawes_at_[hidden]) at unix,mime
Date: 18/02/02 17:04

At 10:45 AM 2/18/2002, timatdvc wrote:

 [snip]

>>Actually, if one took named template parameters using enumerated
>>values, this would be a good description of what I used to pass
>>configuration information to the generator. The selected (or
>>default) options would then result in the actual policies being
>>selected. Good paper, by the way! Wish I'd found it sooner. Makes
>>me feel a bit like I've reinvented a wheel... ;)

>Tim,

you might also like to check out the C&E paper on named template parameters
referenced for the iterators paper at
http://www.generative-programming.org/namedparams/

>You might also read Mat Marcus'
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/message/23654 if you haven't done so
>already.
This did not come through to me on email. I only picked up on it because of
this reference.

Excelent paper. I had been struggling with GenVoca and I think this has
given me a much clearer idea. It was particularly good and pointing out the
seperation between DSL and ICCL. I'd be real interested to see the more
about the config generator.

>The techniques you, Dave, Jeremy, and Mat are exploring are on the research
>frontier of generic and generative programming. Very few people understand
>them fully. I know I don't.

Ahhhhhhhh.... This would explain why I'm having so much problem with my
sockets lib. I'm pretty much a newbie at generative/meta programming.

>For these techniques to migrate into the main stream, there is a real need
>for descriptive material that is easier to understand. Andrei
>Alexandrescu did a great job in his book at making policies easy enough to
>understand that many of us could start using them in everyday programming.
> Someone needs to do something similar for combining generative
>programming, named template parameters, and policy-based design into a
>unified, understandable, technique.

A Design Patters for meta programming would be what I'd really like to see.

/ikh

for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please

arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore
of this message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If
verification is required please request a hard-copy version. This
related financial instruments.