From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-23 11:14:06

At 12:13 AM 2/23/2002, Dan Nuffer wrote:

>Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>>I've written a design document for a file system library. See
>>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/filesystem/filesystem_library_des
>ign.htm
>>
>>It is still rough, but should serve to focus discussions.
>>
>>Comments appreciated.
>>

>Looks like a great start. One thing that isn't clear: Does a filepath
>contain text suitable to pass to a fstream constructor?

Yes, that is very much the exact intent for std::basic_string<char>
filepaths. And others like std::basic_string<wchar_t> should have a
conversion to std::basic_string<char> if the platform supports it.

I've changed the doc to make that much clearer. Thanks.

>on the same vein, it may also be desireable to add this operation:
>- Given a filepath, return a path suitable to use with the native
>platform file API

Yes, and the reverse conversion is also needed. I'll add those.

Thanks, much appreciated!

--Beman