From: jan_langer (jan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-23 11:50:35

--- In boost_at_y..., Dan Nuffer <dnuffer_at_c...> wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
> >I've written a design document for a file system library. See

tem/filesystem_library_design.htm

> Looks like a great start.
ACK

> One thing that isn't clear: Does a filepath
> contain text suitable to pass to a fstream constructor? If not,
then
> one operation I think should be added:
> - Given a filepath, return a char const * suitable for a fstream
constructor

if i understood the document correctly filepath is only a normal
string and you can pass filepath.c_str () to the fstream.

other filesystem related things:

davlet_panech mentioned a class syscall_error. i think this is quite
useful since
"Unless otherwise specified, operations throw exceptions if they do
not complete successfully."
and there is already such a class in the dir_it package.

in the document it says "A standard set of attributes is encouraged."
i tried to address this in
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/filesystem/Attributes.html
but noone was interested in discussing it :-(

i think lots of the work mentioned in the document is already done for
posix systems. my version (.../files/filesystem/filesystem-0.2.tar.gz)
of the attribute thing works also quite well for posix, although some
important things are wrong according to the document.

regards
jan