From: jan_langer (jan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-02-23 12:26:20

--- In boost_at_y..., "Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_c...> wrote:
> > in the document it says "A standard set of attributes is
encouraged."
> > i tried to address this in

> > but noone was interested in discussing it :-(
>
> Thanks for the pointer. It's easy enough to miss things on this
list due to the
> volume. After reading this, what I was saying in response to Bemans
write-up is
> that I believe to make workable and portable directory traversal
programs the
> is_directory and is_regular (how about is_file instead?) attributes
need to be
> guaranteed just like the name. Obviously if the file system doesn't
have
> directories there won't be any traversing, but the traversal program
can find
> that thru discovery since the attribute interface would be
guaranteed.

the names of the attributes are taken just from the identifiers of the
corresponding posix-flags and member in stat. i think the best
solution would be to list all available attributes from several
platforms (win, mac, ...) and then try to find better unique names and
specify which of them must be supported and which are implementation
defined.

jan