From: William Kempf (williamkempf_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-04 13:27:07

>From: "Hoeffner, Detlef" <Detlef.Hoeffner_at_[hidden]>
>To: "'boost_at_[hidden]'" <boost_at_[hidden]>
>Subject: RE: [boost] Thread locals
>Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:25:17 +0200
>

>Her is an optimized version of thread_local that places values directly in
>the void* if it fits
>and otherwise allocates place on the heap.

[snip]

I'll have to look at this carefully. Given the ability to store the data
directly in the void* might mean that this would be a viable replacement for
thread_local_ptr<> (as in thread_local_ptr<> can just be a simple wrapper
for a thread_local<void*>). I simply hadn't thought of doing something like
that.

>William, I have a question regarding your statement about the
>representation
>of pthread_t.
>
>On which platform isn't this printable?

I'm not a POSIX expert, but none of the books or documentation I've found
describe any methods that allow you to print a pthread_t. A quick web
search shows only cases where someone passes an "id" into the thread for
this purpose. So, AFAIK, this isn't possible on *any* platform. If I'm
wrong about this, I'd like to know it.

Bill Kempf
williamkempf_at_[hidden]