From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-09 05:20:19

Eugene Karpachov wrote:

> 9 Apr 2002 05:55:49 +0400 Ernie Makris wrote:
> > It would look like the following:
> > log << log_debug << log_format("%e %1") % "config file not found";
> ^^^^^^^
>
> Please not that ugly format string again! Streams was invented to get
> out of this cryptic, type-unsafe and processor-time-consuming feature,

[snip]

That's exactly what the format library was designed for, isn't it?
It's usage is typesafe and it allows for those nice and handy format
strings.

I think we should not again start a discussion of printf vs. streams,
as the whole format library can be designed using a nice stream interface
and those who like it can use format.

An additional log_format() could be provided as a useful addon for those
using format().

Markus