From: Dan'l Miller (optikos_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-09 02:36:09

  In recent days I uploaded autotools_boost_1_27_0.diff.gz to the Boost files area on Yahoo. (I apologize about the delay from time of posting to the successful posting of this email; my email accounts did not agree with Boost's mailman until today.) This is a proposed set of patches to the files which comprise the Boost WWW-site which describe & govern autotools as an adjunct build/install environment for Boost. Note that this is not the autotools support itself, but rather the proposed documentation governing autotools usage in Boost intended to be placed on the Boost WWW-site. Note that the boost_1_27_0/status/autotools.html compilation/build-status-for-autotools is intentionally not provided at this time. That file would be provided by the community of autotools volunteers on a regular periodic basis, just as boost_1_27_0/status/compiler_status.html is by the community of Boost.Build overseers.

  To install this patchset, here is the :-) 12-step program (pedantically from the beginning; please feel free to adapt as you prefer)

  1) Download Boost 1.27.0 as a .tar.gz file from http://www.boost.org/more/download.html to a directory. We will call this directory myDir here.

  2) cd myDir

  3) gunzip boost_1_27_0.tar.gz

  4) tar -xvf boost_1_27_0.tar

  6) gunzip myDir/autotools_boost_1_27_0.diff.gz

  7) cd boost_1_27_0

  8) patch -fNp1 < ../autotools_boost_1_27_0.diff

  9) Invoke your favorite WWW-browser.

  10) Browse file:///myDir/boost_1_27_0/index.html

  11) Open another window in your favorite WWW-browser.

  12) Browse http://www.boost.org for head-to-head comparison.

  Note the following links on the proposed front WWW-page to new or enhanced WWW-pages:

  . Platforms Tested: Boost.Build (official) Autotools (adjunct)

  . Install

  . and numerous links cascading from those WWW-pages.

  This work was performed in consultation with Dave Abrahams. Thank you, Dave.