From: Otto Hirr (otto.hirr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-10 09:23:49

I very much agree with the need for a logging mechanism.
I personally use a hack originally developed from free
sw by Fred Fish back in the '80s. I've adapted it from
the c to c++, vb, and perl. (But it is not thread safe.)

I'm new to the group, so I'm not sure what you consider
or not, however the is a logging service specification
standard within the OMG. It is under the Telecom area.
see http://www.omg.org/technology/documents/formal/telecom_log_service.htm
I think that ACE/TAO has an (extensive?) log mechanism.

Instead of reinventing, it may be good to scan what is
out there already either in implementation or in what
people are perceiving as needs. Not that they all
should be met with a bloated overweight implementation,
but something that could be extensible. I also know
that some of the open sw projects have their own logging
mechanisms, which would be good to scan for their use
patterns.

Best regards,

.. Otto

Otto Hirr