From: Hoeffner, Detlef (Detlef.Hoeffner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-10 03:45:48

A logging library is definitely something that is missing in boost.

Having partially implemented and heavily used such a library in a
productive multithreaded C++-server application I will list some
requirements our implementation (which is running under Windows and Solaris)
fulfilled and which I believe a standard logging library should fulfill.

1) std::ostream interface for writing messages
2) Support for several categories which can be enabled or disabled through
   configuration
3) Configurable output targets for each category
4) Configurable general format and standard elements of the output per
category
   (and target), e.g.
"category|timestamp|threadid|namespace::class::method|message".
5) Small runtime overhead if looging for a category is disabled during
runtime
6) No runtime overhead if logging for a category is not required for a
build, e.g.
   if looging for category trace is not required in a release build
7) The logging system shall be usable in the startup phase (before main is
reached)
   as well as in the shutdown phase (after main).
8) The logging library shall be usable in a multithreaded application and
provide atomar
   output for "one" whole message.
9) Depending on in which method or function (alternatively in which file)
the logging is done,
   output might be enabled or disabled through configuration.

Providing a complete general logging library is difficult because some
features
might only be provided in a platform dependent manner. In particular this is
true for nice
features like retrieving the qualified name of the calling method. In my
opinion this
feature is very helpful and a general logging library should provide support
for that
on platforms where this can be supported even if it can't be provided on all
platforms.
Otherwise users might decide not to use the library in favor of another
library that
supports this feature.

Regards

Detlef