From: David White (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-20 01:50:21

Craig,

I think I can see what you're saying now. I am assuming that by
"psuedo-vlarray objects" you mean "objects that are stored in a
vlarray". I guess what you mean is that with this custom allocator, you
could do something like this:

{ //A
    vector<char,stack_allocator> myvector;
    vlarray<char,stack_allocator> myarray;
    ...code, during which time myvector might reallocate...
} //B

stack_allocator would not assume that everything happens in LIFO order,
however it would assume that anything allocated after A would be
deallocated before or at B.

I can see how this would be useful, and I would like to see how it
performs in practice. I have submitted a preliminary version of my (now
renamed to) var_length_array class template with associated allocators,
if you have the time/compulsion/etc etc it would be great if you could
write a modified version of my allocator that works in the way you
describe.

Also, note that var_length_array can store any type - POD types or
non-POD types. I think your point there was that types stored in a
var_length_array, that themselves allocate will simply allocate on the
heap. This is true, and I can see how your idea could be an advantage.

Cheers,

David.