From: Jan Langer (jan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-22 07:07:35

hello,

Darin Adler wrote:
> Just a quick reminder that the formal review period for the Date/Time
> library runs through Wednesday, April 24.

i have not looked at the code. i only tried to use the library in a
small example and i have little experience with date/time things (in
computer-related areas, of course :-).

- i think its quite easy to use. it was possible to me to write a
program which lists all months of this year in a few minutes.
- the boost user doc is too small to be really useful. i always used the
doxygen reference manual.
- it was not easy to find out how some classes or many member functions
behave because the documentation says nothing about it.
  e.g. it says for a whole class like day_functor only one short
sentence, which is imho too few.
- then i wanted to test the generic part and tried to write my own
date-class which has only a resolution of one year. but i found no point
in the documention describing how to start. what i would like to see is
a description how the generic components of gdtl should and can be used.
- i wanted to output the names of the months in my native languages, but
it seems to be impossible. is there any support for
internationalisation?

although i think that the documentation is incomplete and the output
facilities are only in english i vote for acceptance because these
problems can (and should) also be solved later and gdtl provides already
enough functionality to solve most of the problems which can occur in
normal applications.
the discussion here shows that it is impossible to create a library
which is as simple and homogenous as we would like it to be.
regards
jan

ps: its not very much i can say about gdtl, but i hope it is better than
to write nothing.

--
jan langer ... jan_at_[hidden]
"pi ist genau drei"