From: Maxim Shemanarev (mcseem_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-23 21:18:27

Newsgroups: gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: Vector graphics: Incorporating more concepts

> I was just thinking about Microsoft ClearType: it would be interesting
> to see the concept incorporated into a freely-available library. I have
> been highly impressed with some of the results I've seen, and it seems
> that using the technique on general antialiasing of graphics would yield
> results worth further investigation.

Well, here it's desribed in details: http://grc.com/cleartype.htm
I thought about implementing some similar technology, but the
area of application of it is restricted. First, it's applicable only
for LCD displays. On any CRT it looks like a regular anti-aliasing
and sometimes worse. It works good only if there're a lot of
vertical elements (or near to vertical) and less of horizontal ones,
i.e. for rendering fonts, because it increases only horizontal
resolution.

> Another factor worth investigating: is it possible to abstract and map
> the VectorAGG library primitives to hardware-accelerated routines, if
> available? This obviously would be significant effort, but the results
> would probably be more applicable in the long term, as hardware
> acceleration becomes more and more popular. What do you think?

Right. I tried to design the library as a number of independent parts.
In fact, one can use any renderer with a very simple interface and If
there's
a class that supports some HW accelerator and its interface is acceptable
for AGG (in fact, just move_to/line_to in subpixel coordinates) it can be
easily used. And when the accelerators will produce the same quality of
anti-aliasing and all of them will be standardized, I will throw away the
renderer and concentrate only on the conversion pipeline part :-)

McSeem
http://www.antigrain.com