From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-24 13:26:21

> One other comment before the window closes, and that is you could
> write some manipulators (see boost tuple) for things like delimiters for
> use with iostreams.

Nice! Somehow I missed the I/O details when looking at tuple. Too bad
about all the ugly portability hacks :-( Anyway, thanks for the pointer.
Having a nice example to borrow from is a big help.

> I also fall into the camp that wants iostreams/locales and not
> "to_string" fns.
>
> ostringstream os;
>
> os << use_stringMonths << use_number_day_of_week << ym_delimiter(',')
> << mdy_order << time_delimiter(':') << date;
>
> "April 24,2002 3 12:10:34" etc.

Yes, this needs to be tackled. Perhaps obviously, this is the C++ way.

> Ok, maybe having a "mdy_order" is a bit much, but the other delimiters
> are useful.

No, not really. mdy_order is a requirement for correct locale support anyway.

Jeff