From: John Maddock (john_maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-04-25 06:23:43

> This fails in strict mode because __int64 (and long long) is not standard.
> I suggest to define a BOOST_MSVC to be defined when Visual C++ is used (or
> when using other compilers that work in "msvc emulation" mode like
Comeau -
> but not in strict mode - or Codewarrior), and to modify Boost everywhere
so
> that it checks against this macro instead of _MSC_VER.

BOOST_MSVC is used to detect MS specific compiler bugs (or should be), and
so should not be set for any compiler other than Visual C++. WRT to long
long and __int64, the conclusion I've come to is that we need to add
BOOST_HAS_MS_INT64, presumably we can set this correctly for Commeau? After
that we need a comprehensive clear out of any usage of _MSC_VER is boost
code. Any comments or objections?
(BTW neither BOOST_NO_INT64_T nor BOOST_NO_INTEGRAL_INT64_T are quite what
we want here - see config reference).

(BTW I've come on to this discussion somewhat late, if I've missed the point
my apologies).

John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/index.htm