From: John Maddock (john_maddock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-01 05:27:33

Dave,

You may want to look into this,

John Maddock
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/john_maddock/index.htm

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Mechner" <david_at_[hidden]>
To: <John_Maddock_at_[hidden]>
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 6:44 PM
Subject: boost build problem

Hello,

I'm emailing you because I tried to install boost mainly to use your regex
package. The boost install failed, but I eventually found the makefiles in
the regex build subdir and built the package using those, which worked fine.
I'm emailing you because I couldn't face dealing with the boost mailing list
to report this issue, as I don't have a lot of time to spend on it, and from
the website I couldn't identify anyone with primary responsibility for
installation issues. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to forward this to someone
in the boost community who might care. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Briefly, installing boost failed catastrophically on my win2k/msvc6/stlport
installation. The command line used and (some of the) output is attached. A
quick glance make it seem that:

- jam is calling vcvars32.bat even though I've already run it and my build
env is set up fine, as requested in the install docs.

- it's choking on the CL command which has spaces (C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\...) in the path as used. However, I don't see
why the full path to the compiler is being used, when vcvars32.bat puts the
compiler in the path precisely so it can be called just as "cl".

My deepest apologies if I'm doing something stupid, but if I am, perhaps the
build documentation should be elaborated to account for idiots like me...
Boost looks like a fantastic project, and I'd love to use it, but I'm afraid
it's a little inaccessible right now (at least for windows users?).

Anyway, regards and thanks.
-David Mechner