From: David Abrahams (david.abrahams_at_[hidden])
Date: 2002-05-02 09:45:46

----- Original Message -----
From: "Noel Yap" <yap_noel_at_[hidden]>

> > > In any case, all of boost is now dependent on
> > Python
> > > since at least one part of it depends on Python.
> >
> > That's just false.
>
> Why do you say that?

Because lots of people successfully use parts of boost without using
other parts.

> If Boost depends on
> Boost.Python, and Boost.Python depends on Python, then
> Boost depends on Python (ie dependency is transitive).
> Would you agree that dependency is transitive?

Yes, dependency is transitive, but your premise is false: Boost does not
depend on Python.

> > You don't need a separate distribution to get that.
> > The current CVS
> > state skips building the Python library if Python
> > isn't installed or
> > configured.
>
> But why download it at all?

Why download what? Boost? I presume because you want to use it. Python?
You only need that if you want to use Boost.Python.

> Also, what if Python is really installed but the build
> can't see it?

It gives a helpful message about what you need to do to make it visible.

> Why complicate the entire Boost build due to a
> dependence of only one of its components?

Why make assumptions about which things cause complications for the
build?

> Will this
> scale if more components have more dependencies? Will
> it scale as well as if each library took care of their
> own dependencies?

It's hard to answer these vague hypothetical questions, especially if
you don't define what it means to "take care of their own dependencies"

-Dave